Saturday, April 14, 2012

And We'll Call It Research...

 
I've said this before and I'll say it again; I love researching for a novel.  Of course, I enjoy reading the non-fiction accounts that relate to my setting, but the best part is getting out in the world, going to the site and touching the rocks, smelling the creosote and hearing the sounds that I am writing about.

Hard working research assistants

Lucky for me, Ragtown, as well as the next novel I'm working on, takes place in what is now the Lake Mead Recreation Area and Boulder City, Nevada.  My historic novels take place eighty years ago, during the building of the Hoover Dam, so I do have to envision these sites as they would have appeared then, but it isn't too difficult.

And did I say this involves hanging out at Lake Mead Recreation Area?

 So Spring is here, and I will be spending a lot of time at Lake Mead swimming, hiking in the mountains, riding trains and looking for Big Horn Sheep doing research and more research and more research.  

  
Grueling, I know, but writing is a tough life and someone has to do it.
This little guy followed us around, watching from above

You can read about my other Ragtown research adventures here.  Yes, it's true, I ate a rock.    

10 comments:

Jane Isaac said...

Fabulous post, Kelly! I love research too - I really think that good research shows in the story. And that includes experiencing the environment like swimming,hiking and riding trains;-)

Kelly Stone Gamble said...

Thanks, Jane. I can think of at least four scenes that I'm not sure I could have written at all had I not done some of the nature excursions.

Anonymous said...

Fantastic! I love that you get out there and experience it. Shows what a great artist you are. The kids and I were just at Lake Mead a couple weeks ago. They absolutely loved it!

Funny, I have a similar post planned for Friday. I like the way you think.

Kelly Stone Gamble said...

Do you live close, Debra? I love Lake Mead, it's my favorite part of Las Vegas.

Anonymous said...

What an amazing landscape, Kelly! I can only imagine how the physicality of the places feeds into the telling of the story.

You look completely at home :o)

Man, that's a handsome sheep!

Beth said...

I love the post and all the photos. Glad I don't have to do all that grueling work;-)

Kelly Stone Gamble said...

It is an interesting landscape. Isn't he handsome? He was a juvenile, by his size. Probably running the mountain when his momma told him not to. My kind of sheep.

Kelly Stone Gamble said...

Beth, we'd have fun in the mountains! :)

Suzanne Shumaker said...

wow ... rough life you have there lol :) what's the name of your new book? Can't wait to buy my copy of Ragtown!

Kelly Stone Gamble said...

I don't have a title yet. Beth and I are calling it the Glory Hole, ha! Really doubt that will stick.